Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bumpy thoughts from my deck

Sitting here this afternoon on my deck watching my boys play and looking at the yard. As I listen to the two of them (they are 7 and almost 5) playing a series of made up games, I am struck by the persistence of the younger one. No matter how many times the older changes the rules or makes it impossible for his younger brother to win, the younger one keeps trying.

There are many days when I think that this applies to much of what we do with donors. We each have those donors who are going to give no matter what we do, and usually a couple who really do make that gift each year in spite rather than because of the organization they are supporting.

It makes me wonder if we can get in front of those donors and help smooth the road or if, much like my younger son, who yelled at me for "interfering" in the game when a particularly unfair rule change was implemented they see that as a part of the relationship.

Maybe like with the sibling relationships, the best approach is to make sure that they know you love and value them and if they don't want the road to be smoothed out, leave it bumpy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home