Friday, December 2, 2011

Put some datamining onto your wish list

I had three separate conversations today that touched upon the use of datamining to more effectively segment or target appeals. The simplest of these was centered around reducing costs on an appeal, the most complex was identifying the most appropriate solicitation method for approaching lapsed prospects with a very short (think 2011) timeline for getting it completed.

In each of these conversations, the most interesting component to me was how accepted the concept was. Six or seven years ago when I started to do a lot with using statistical analysis as a way to inform my segmenting and mailing decisions, everytime that I would bring it up, I needed to explain what I meant, why it would help and then provide some sort of defense regarding it actually working. In my conversations today, each person whom I spoke with readily agreed that it made sense to do. I see this as a huge step in the maturation of the profession and expect that it is one of the long term positive outcomes from the current economic mess. Doing more with less each year has required that we get better at it and the declining participation numbers are going to continue to hone that effort.

I have posted the how before, so please search the archives of this blog for tips on implementation. I would suggest that no matter the level of sophistication, taking steps to increase response and decrease costs have little downside and substantial upside. I challenge each of you to put trying it on your list of things to do and get started. To that end, call me if you need help figuring out how to get this going - 718-990-6240.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home