Thursday, November 4, 2010

Back to basics - thank you

As I was trick or treating with my kids on Sunday it occurred to me that what I was struggling to get them to do - ask politely and then say thank you no matter WHAT you get (or in the words of my 4 year old - you get what you get and you don't get upset) is really something that many of us struggle with as well.

When you planned out this year, what portion of your budget did you set aside to spend on saying thank you? I can give you the answer for me - .5%. And 90% of that goes to a postcard thank you for donors of under $20 who are not receipted by gift processing.

I imagine that for most folks the answer is similar - a small portion. "But Scott, we thank them on every appeal" you say - as do I. But I don't teach my kids to walk up to the door soliciting candy and say "thank you for the candy that you gave me last year, trick or treat" that would sound fake and really kind of disturbing - yet we all do it in every printed appeal.

Who are your most valuable donors? LYBUNTS would be the simplest answer - I can debate consistency and longevity (and would love to do so if anyone is up for it) but in basic terms, it is your LYBUNT population. Do you do anything to simply make them feel special? Newsletter for donors? Pre-announcements of press releases? Creation of a thank you communication?

I know many folks do this on the phone and many folks are rightfully proud of the effort and speak in strong terms of how good donors and callers feel from this effort. Is there a reason that we don't do the same in the mail? As a portion of the calendar year end effort do a simple mailing from a student thanking them for helping that student achieve their goal. No ask. No reply card or device. Just a thank you.

Do the same for your online folks. Spend the money to thank them - how many times are you asking and how fancy do you get in doing so? Match that level of sophistication with a thank you - if you are using flash video to solicit, send a video interview with a student expressing how much it matters to them to have donor support. Send it in a way that you can track who views it and follow up with a second and even a third message to those who have not yet done so.

Trick or Treat? The real trick is to remember to say thank you for the treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home